Just the two of us...for now

Just the two of us...for now
And so the journey begins...

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Feeling frustrated

We couldn't quite figure out what the hold up has been all about. That is, until we received an email from our RE's office's egg donor coordinator. She spelled it all out for us, and we are left feeling angry, hurt, and completely frustrated. It's not our RE office's fault at all. No, instead the fault lies with our chosen egg donor's agency. They are called Miracles, Inc. Yeah, but the joke it that it's a miracle that anything gets done as it should. lol. Here's what has happened:
Jeff and I had a desire to have me pregnant by the 1st week of June. The reasons for this are personal, but we were very clear about our desired timeline from the get-go. Our egg donor coordinator at my RE's office told us back in late February/March that this timeline will work just fine, provided we choose a donor no later than the 1st week of April. So the search was on...and we found her. We got the agreement paperwork signed and faxed back to Miracles, Inc. We paid them $14,000. After doing this, we are told that our chosen donor is going to be out of town for 2weeks. A big let down for us, but we thought "ok...we're still on track with our timeline." Until our egg donor coordinator (her name is Emily, btw) let's us know that we won't be able to wrap everything up until late June. It may be a difference of only 3 weeks, but it makes a huge difference for us personally. So I write to Emily, asking her why is there an extra month in the timeline? And has our donor even gotten her required lab work done? (The donor must get what's called an AMH blood draw done before anything. This gives an indicator to my RE what her ovarian reserve looks like. If that turns out well, she must then fly into town to meet with my RE to have an ultrasound done of her ovaries to make sure they look healthy and fertile. She must also have a blood test done for HIV and STD's. She lastly must have a phycological examination. This is all done before she's even given the final "OK" to proceed with being our donor.) So back to what I was saying....she still hasn't had her AMH done. It turns out (according to Emily today) that the donor will get this done by Wednesday, and the results take 3-4 days to come back. After that, apparently, the donor's agency didn't fully explain to her about the need for her to devote time to flying into Scottsdale to take care of necessary lab works and visits with my RE. So apparently, eveything's being put on hold until she's finished with school until June. We are really angry that her agency didn't explain this to her, nor clued us in to what's happening with the process. Basically, we would have perhaps gone with a completely different donor at a different agency. But now we can't, because we have our hearts set on this donor, and we've already invested this money. (And there is still yet about another $10k to be paid towards this agency before it's all over, not to mention the additonal $20,000 for the cost of the IVF cycle itself.) I have to keep reminding myself that it'll all be worth it in the end. It's just that this infertility road has been long and dark, and I'm so ready for it to be over. And I don't think it's too much to ask that this agency treats Jeff and I with some dignity and respect. Ugh. I just needed to vent. I must learn patience and tolerance.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sad to hear that you've experienced yet another setback. I wish I had inspiring and uplifting words, but I don't. And, I'm sure by this point you've heard them all, and they all seem cliche. I'll continue to keep you and Jeff in my thoughts and prayers and direct my positive energy your way in hopes that after this long road, your outcome will be exactly what you had hoped for.

    ReplyDelete